Friday, April 17, 2015

"The Play's the Thing"


(This is an exchange between myself, and an old friend on Facebook regards the idea of my doing a one person on stage show about my life, and times. We begin by talking about the tiny Tinkerbell figure pictured.)

Susie Creamcheese: she actually looks as if she's crying

Sidney Smith: I still have her somewhere. The smallest things survive personal upheavals...like being somewhat Houseless for a time. Sorry for always bringing that up so much. It's just that the experience is insisting on being remembered lately.

 (I was Homeless for over a year awhile back.)

Susie Creamcheese: hey I got lost in events 40 years ago. never apologize. your body & brain are dealing with shit on a whole different level

Sidney Smith: Thanks, and yeah ain't that the truth.

Susie Creamcheese: did you start the book/play about those experiences? if not maybe they are trying to be heard.

Sidney Smith: Yeah I thought of that...it's all mixed in with that auto-bio comix book art thing I've been working on since last fall. That bleep ain't easy I don't mind saying.

Susie Creamcheese: no it is not easy, as a fellow writer I can attest to that. remember when you were going to write it as a one man show? I thought that was a very interesting idea.

Sidney Smith: I still like that idea, but doubt if anyone would be interested...so maybe a graphic novelization.

Susie Creamcheese: you could do it from behind a desk (a la spalding gray) only it would be set up as your desk from 'bai. (...the radio station.)

Sidney Smith" ...say that's a cool idea.

Susie Creamcheese: I would be so comfortable for you.

Sidney Smith: ...a dark stage slowly lights up centering on a desk with a vintage 1940's mic, and assorted papers maps newspapers, and various props, and nicknacks. I enter stage left take off my jacket my hat. Sit loosen my tie rummage through the junk on the desk...tap the mic...reach into the desk draw pull out a frosty bottle of Dr. Pepper take a generous slug...burp...cover my face with my hands for a long moment look up adjusting the mic as I do,....and I say...

"I'm still alive, and here's why..."

Sidney Smith: So the tale begins.

Susie Creamcheese: ...there you go


Stay Tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment