Wednesday, June 5, 2013

"My Friend"

My reaction to death at least in these latter days is silence. When my sister in law called me with news of my Brother John's passing my end of the line was silent for some minutes. 

So too with my dear friend Ibrahim's 'so' sudden passing. I was again silent at the other end of a slender thread. I used to be good at eulogies. I always gave a wacky happy mournful performance of the life, and times of the dearly departed.

However now all I have are the quietness of memories.

Quiet.

Alright here was Ibrahim.

A Son a Husband a Father an Uncle a Grandfather a Sufi Scholar, and a Friend.

An artist in all the endeavors he chose.  He was a musician composer photographer writer videographer stage, and radio performer a teacher, an administrator.

A Dreamer.

At my age I am in awe of all the wonderful Souls that have passed through my life. I am even more moved by those that chose to stay. Ibrahim was one of these.

He will live in the quietness of my memory till  at last I am uplifted towards the Light, and we meet again.


Sidney Smith


No comments:

Post a Comment